Wednesday, November 29, 2017

In Today's News

In Today's news 
Today we just learned about the struggles the colonial government in governing it's own citizens pitted between English and French constant arguments would arise and eventually leading sometimes governments being defeated all because of the Act of Union of 1841 that united Upper and Lower Canada (Ontario and Québec) into Canada West and Canada East. A coalition would be formed by Robert Baldwin in the West and Louis Lafontaine in the East.  
A major issue leading into confederation was the railways the question was the Premier at the time was debating on how to pay for it and these disagreements lead to political deadlock where votes were tied and nothing could actually be done(very frustrating I would imagine. See why I don't like politics?). A second Coalition was from by John A. Macdonald leader of the conservatives party and George Etienne Cartier who had French support (very important.). The opposition was George Brown leader of the Liberal Opposition and founder of the Toronto Globe. Both people would oppose each other on a personal level resulting in Brown many times calling John A. a devil. They would bump heads many times sometimes John A.'s government being defeated and sometimes George Brown being defeated.  
A major step was John A.'s scheme that Queen Victoria herself chose Bytown(Ottawa) as Canada's capital because Canada had no permanent capitol going from Québec to Toronto and back again. Later Macdonald and Cartier chose to work together and managed to gain support from George Brown who even openly supported them. This is our birth story.

quotes from John A.
  • If I had influence over the minds of the people of Canada, any power over their intellect, I would leave them this legacy: ‘Whatever you do, adhere to the Union. We are a great country, and shall become one of the greatest in the universe if we preserve it; we shall sink into insignificance and adversity if we suffer it to be broken.’
  • My sins of omission and commission I do not deny; but I trust that it may be said of me in the ultimate issue, ‘Much is forgiven because he loved much,’ for I have loved my country with a passionate love.

posted by George journal.
unknown author
online at:John A quotes


 Uploaded by Wikipedia last edited on November 23 2017 at 12:17
available online at: Original flag of Canada

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dustin, awesome job on this months blogpost. Before even reading the post I could tell it would be a really well done and informative post. And I was very correct with my hypothesis. Your blog was very helpful on clearing up the water for me towards the colonial governments and the events that lead up to confederation, and the struggles they had. I really enjoyed that you added in little pieces of information to better explain what it was that you were talking about. As some times all the big words and fancy terms that come along with politics can get very confusing (for me at least), so it definitely helped very much to keep my mind on track as to what was happening.

    Your blog post gave me big time déjà vu (in a good way) of the time we watched that absolutely “wonderful” movie in history about the confederation of Canada. Was it only me that thought that movie was no good what’s so ever? Like why did they ever think that would be a good movie? Anyways, while we were watching that movie, aside from being bored out of my mind, I was also very confused as to what was going on during the whole thing. But thinking back on it now that I’ve read and absorbed all the information out of your blog post, that movie makes so much more sense (it’s still as boring as watching paint dry though!).

    Aside from a few small grammatical and editing errors, I really thought you did a great job on this blog post. Your formatting was great and made it easy to read all the information packed inside, your quotes were really good, the information was spot on and I think the picture you picked fit the post really well. Here’s the link to a video that I think goes along really well with what you were talking about and would overall really add to your post: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vBGNEJpznNE

    Once again good job with your blog post, it was very well done!

    ReplyDelete

Please continue this conversation by leaving a comment below!
*Students, please ensure your comment matches the Effective Comment criteria from your blogging package.